In the event that your client database is lost or corrupted due to a hard-drive crash or power failure, you can restore it, assuming that you have previously made a backup of those files.
TIP: Essential Forms automatically makes a complete backup of your data whenever you install a new Judicial Council forms update. These backups are stored in your Essential Forms data folder in a subdirectory called Release Backups, with further subdirectories for each update period. For example, the folder 2301 would contain a backup for each time the January 2023 update was run.
You can also use the restore data utility to move your entire set of client data files from one computer to another. Just be aware that this utility will overwrite any data already existing in the data folder where the restore is done. Here is how to restore your backed-up data:
1. From the top menu bar, click File and then select Restore Data From Backup from the pull-down menu.
2. If Essential Forms can’t automatically locate your backup file, it will display a pop-up window asking you to select the drive where your backed-up data is located (as shown below left). Select the appropriate drive, click Continue, then browse to the appropriate folder and click OK.
3. Next you will see a pop-up screen indicating that the program has located the backup data set and asking you if you want to restore this data set to Essential Forms. Remember that it will overwrite any client files that exist, so be sure this is what you want to do. You can also look for the backed-up data in another location. If you are unsure what to do, it is recommended that you call Technical Support before proceeding. Normally when using this utility you would want to restore the data. If you do, click Restore data.
4. You will then see one more warning screen to confirm this is what you want to do. Click Restore data.
5. The program will now restore all the data in the chosen backup file. This may take several minutes depending upon the number of client files you had backed up. When the program is finished, you will get a screen informing you that the data was successfully restored. You now have full use of the Essential Forms program with all of your restored clients and saved forms as of the date that you backed up your files.